Should You Use Augmented Reality With Direct Mail?
Direct mail is a very effective marketing channel; however, when you add a mobile element such as augmented reality to it, you have the opportunity to skyrocket your results. I say "opportunity" using augmented reality with direct mail, because you need to use the AR effectively. Just adding AR to your mail piece for the sake of having a mobile component will not help improve your results.
There are many factors you need to consider before including AR in your mail pieces:
- Define: What are you trying to accomplish by adding AR? Of course you want to boost your ROI. What else?
- Customers: How will your customers use this technology? Why would they want to?
- What: What will customers get by using AR? Coupons, some fun or some other type of perk?
- How: Make sure that you understand how AR works and the best ways to use it.
So what are some of the benefits of using AR in your mail? You can make your pieces come to life so you add another sensory experience. You can provide more content than a mail piece alone can do. You can also track scans, clicks and downloads easily. Don’t forget that it will also provide a "wow" factor, as well as longer engagement with the piece. One last note about AR is that when you provide a fun experience, people will share that with friends and family — so you extend the reach of your campaign.
In order to get the best results, make sure to have easy-to-follow instructions on how the AR works and what people need to do. You also need to provide them with a good incentive to try it. Remember that it does take more work on their part, so convince them why they should. You want to use AR to enhance your customer’s experience with not just your mail piece, but your brand. How can you do that?
Other brands are using augmented reality and creating a fun, engaging experience.
- Become Part of the Action - Tesco and Disney allow children to create worlds where they are in the action with characters from "Frozen." Imagine how you can use something like this to make your customers and prospects a part of your brand.
- Calendar - Cadbury created a holiday calendar experience where each day people were invited to view their calendar and see fun selfie opportunities, as well as other treats. Think of ways you can get people excited about your brand and sharing it on social media
- Shoes - Converse uses AR to allow users to virtually try on shoes at home. When they find a pair they like, they can buy it right then. This is very functional and drives sales. How can your prospects and customers try out your product or service through AR?
There are so many things that AR can allow you to do with your direct mail. These three examples are just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many creative ways to enhance the experience for your customers and prospects. Remember to use the technology to create an experience that is worth the effort and make sure to tell people in easy steps how to do it. Using an enticing message will help drive people to try it out, too. When you do, you will see a big difference in the interaction with your mail piece, as well as sales.
The power of AR is at your fingertips and can propel your marketing to the next level. Are you ready to get started?